Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Is it 'crunchy' to wear your baby?

"Okay, Captain. Look, the dealers are the popular kids, but they're not normal popular. They're these crunchy granola dudes that have convinced everyone they're cool. But they're not cool. It's backwards and unnatural and it's gotta be stopped!" -Channing Tatum, 21 Jump Street


I have been wondering lately if babywearing is considered "crunchy." I remember when I first moved back to Florida from San Diego, I would get all offended when someone would call me "granola;" it happened a lot. At the time, I felt that it's kinda like calling someone a hippie and I don't wear patchouli oil. Plus, I shave like I have some personal vendetta against body hair. Not that I have any problem with hippies, I am quite fond of them I just don't see myself as one. But its been years now and I have grown quite comfortable with this once dreaded accusation. People expect me to be a little "crunchy." But to me, I am just being me and I think of it as more being in tune with myself and the world around me than anything. What people don't expect (and I must say it catches me off guard at times) is how "crunchy" my husband has grown to be. Although, I think there is a large bridge between punk rock and "crunchy" and it is on this bridge that my husband treads. He still has tattoos everywhere, listens to loud music (when JR is not around) and lives in band t-shirts, only you can't tell because there is a baby carrier covering the shirt now. Whether it's the Moby Wrap or the Ergo (our Baby K'Tan is too small for him) he loves babywearing and I love him all the more for it. Last night, he saw a woman in a ring sling at Whole Foods and walked us right up to her to find out the "scoop" and I guarantee that we will have our very own Sweet Pea Ring Sling very soon (she makes one for the beach/water!).



Anyway, what makes me wonder about where babywearing fits into parenting/life style is that the frequency of which we see it, changes depending on our environment. The openly breastfeeding community seems to be big babywearers along with the people who were in our Hypnobirthing class and that general natural birthing crowd. Places like Whole Foods tend to have babywearers in plain sight but other than that I find myself to be the only one not donning a stroller in public. Truthfully, our stroller gets the most use when Nonna is helping me on our errands because he is a bit too chunky for my tiny Italian mother to be strapping him on. Even then, I am usually wearing him. Regardless of where it falls on the spectrum of parenting, there are so many advantages to babywearing that I thought I should share a few for those unfamiliar with just how awesome it is.

Babywearing is naturally comforting for both parent and baby. This is especially true for mothers and babies. You just spent 9 months together and to think that after all that bonding it is natural to just set baby down is crazy! Besides milk, the thing that babies need and want most is physical contact and this provides that while giving mom full mobility and the freedom to accomplish daily tasks.

Babies are happier and more confident. People often say that a quiet baby is a "good" baby. Aside from the ridiculous notion that a crying baby is a "bad" baby, we all want our babies to be as happy as they can be. Babies who are a part of their mother's day and see things from their viewpoint are often quite content. Instead of creating a "clingy" baby, it helps babies to feel more confident because mothers are more in tune with their baby's needs and respond very quickly. Besides that, wearing your baby gives him/her a sense of closeness even when you are focusing on other tasks. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding states, "plenty of loving contact does not "spoil" a baby or make him more demanding, but instead helps him feel more comfortable and happy in his new world."

It is a great way for dad to bond with a breastfeeding baby. As my husband and I have both learned, it can be a little hard for dad in the first couple months of life to find his place in the baby's routine. It can be hard when all baby does is breastfeed and sleep. Even though it is not for us, I can see why couples do pump so that dad can feed baby and feel that closeness. But this is another way for dad to spend quality time with baby and help solidify that bond (unless baby is hungry and then there is a raging bull attached to dad's chest which is hilarious-for a minute).

Babywearing meets babies' physical needs. According to the LLL (La Leche League), "Babies need and enjoy motion. In the womb, they become accustomed to the sound of mother's heart pumping blood and to the feeling of being confined in a small space. The experience of being in the womb also teaches them to enjoy the rhythm of their mother’s movements. After birth, the experience of being held close to a parent’s body helps them recall the peace they felt in the womb." Also, this movement helps to dispel gas which, any parent of a colicky baby can tell you, is such an important thing. Babywearing helps babies vestibular system: the inner ear controlling balance, as well as, helps babies breathe and grow better.

Another point, that I do not as often see on lists but is a favorite of mine, is that it prevents strangers (for the most part) from touching your little one. People LOVE to touch babies and I do not love random people touching me, let alone our child. Wearing the baby tends to stop this behavior because people have to get uncomfortably close to you in order to touch your baby and most will not do this. I love this for many reasons, but a good one is that is restricts the amount of germs people can gob onto your baby. I am not a germ-a-phobe but I do prefer JR to be restricted in who is germafying him at this stage.

So, "crunchy" or not I think that the advantages to wearing your baby are outstanding in comparison with keeping him or her "in a bucket" all the time. Remember that infants CANNOT be spoiled by too much contact. Even if you held your baby for 16 hours a day, it would still be less than what they are accustomed to in the womb. You are not training them for the "real world" at this age, instead with a lack of contact you may be sending a message of insecurity and inconsistency. Stay tuned for my reviews on the different carriers we use, and of course plenty of pictures. Until then I will tell you that so far our overall favorite is our Organic Ergo carrier with infant insert. We like each one for different reasons but this one gets the most use to date.


Such a proud daddy
Moby

Looking at me from in the K'Tan

Baby K'Tan
 
Strolling in the Ergo


4 comments:

  1. I am not a mom (yet) but I SO loved this blog entry! I will not forget it when it comes my time to get "crunchy" and wear my baby love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! I am so glad you enjoyed it, especially coming from such an awesome blogger as yourself :)

      Delete
  2. Great blog Jessie! Don't worry, when I go back to FL, I get made fun of too...although I don't even think they are evolved enough in Northern FL to come up with the term "crunchy", they just flat out call me a hippie :)...guess that's what we get for obtaining a medical degree in something other than pill pushing.

    ReplyDelete